1. Have completed 45 credit hours of law school courses;
2. Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher (verified by Registrar);
3. Be enrolled in a minimum of eight credit hours (this requirement does not apply to students enrolled in summer session or the final semester, or students who have the Dean’s permission to enroll in fewer than 8 credit hours);
4. Be in good standing, both academically and conduct-wise
5. Have met with the director of externship program for an externship interview prior to enrollment.
1. Hours: 60 hours minimum field work for 1 hour credit 120 hours minimum for 2 hours credit; 180 hours minimum for 3 credits. This course is not complete until the end of the regular semester. It is expected that the fieldwork hours will be spread out over the duration of the entire semester, although the hours need not be equally distributed per week.
a. Keep daily time log and submit to externship director every class period.
b. Keep detailed work journals for grading purposes (pass/fail) & submit to extern director every class period.
3. Classes - Students taking the externship courses for the first time must attend the Mandatory Externship classes held during the semester, as listed on course schedule.
4. Compensation - Students may NOT be paid by any member of the supervising law firm/company for work done at any time during the semester the student is enrolled in the extern program.
5. Duties - Vary with supervisor and assignment, but usually include legal research, writing briefs and memoranda, drafting pleadings, investigating cases, interviewing clients/witnesses, planning or implementing case strategies with supervisor, observing court hearings and depositions.
Third Year Bar Card - Externship students are eligible and may apply for a Third Year Bar Card (from the State Bar of Texas), which allows a student to practice law and appear in court under attorney supervision, with client consent. Student must have a licensed attorney to sponsor the Bar Card.
For other information, contact Cecily Becker, director of externship program firstname.lastname@example.org or 817-212-4050.